How to increase your chances of getting hired in 2024
It's a new year, which means it's a good time to make some changes in our lives - and for many of us, that might mean finding a new job. Ideally, you want to find a job that will motivate you, value your skills, and pay you what you're worth.
Even if you're not actively looking for a change, it never hurts to research the market to determine if your current salary matches the industry standards.
If you want to increase your chances of getting hired, there are three key things you should focus on:
- Writing a concise and relevant cover letter.
- Creating an impressive resume.
- Acing the job interview.
1. Your cover letter
Writing a great cover letter is essential to complement your resume and help you stand out from other applicants. It lets you showcase your personality and enthusiasm and demonstrate how well you fit the company's requirements. To create an impactful cover letter, it's essential to customise it for each job. Here's what you should include:
- Start by creating your letterhead with your name, address and contact details
- Address your letter to a real person if the job advertisement specifies a contact. Otherwise, address it to the HR Manager and then add the company name and address
- Add a heading that clearly states the position you're applying for
- In your introduction, mention the specific position and how you heard about it. Then, in a few sentences, explain why you are a great fit for the role
- Highlight your skills and experience that align with the position requirements. Try to include specific examples of relevant achievements
- Explain any gaps in your employment history – for instance, if you took parental leave for 12 months. Describe how the experience has improved your ability to multi-task and handle stressful situations
- Mention how your values align with the company's culture
- Explain your strengths, such as teamwork, determination, lateral thinking and a sense of humour
- Summarise why you're an ideal candidate and express your desire for an opportunity to discuss your suitability in more detail
2. Your resume
Your resume is crucial to showcase your skills and experience to potential employers, but the content and layout of your resume are equally important. Loads of resume templates are available on the internet, including through the Canva platform. Here's a list of information to include in your resume:
- Your contact details
- A summary of your professional experience and career goals
- A list of your key skills relevant to the role you're applying for
- Details of your education, training and certifications
- A record of your current and past employment (starting from the most recent and working backwards)
- For each job, highlight the significant responsibilities and achievements, quantifying them if possible. For instance, "Identified an opportunity to improve the order fulfilment process, resulting in cost savings of around $5,000 per month."
- Don't forget to mention any awards or recognition you received in each role
3. At the interview
When it comes to a job interview, the key ingredients are preparation, confidence, and effective communication skills. To stand out from other candidates, you must be authentic and show a genuine interest in the company and the position. Here are some tips on how to give yourself the best chance of success:
- Come prepared – research the company thoroughly, including its values, mission, products, and culture
- Read the job description carefully to understand the essential responsibilities and requirements, and prepare specific examples from your past experiences that align with the role
- Be prepared to discuss how your skills and experiences relate to the broader industry context
- Watch your body language - maintain eye contact, sit up straight and project confidence
- Demonstrate your genuine interest and initiative by asking insightful questions about the company, team, and position
- Highlight your specific achievements and contributions from your previous roles, and quantify your accomplishments whenever possible
- Showcase your ability to adapt to new situations and learn quickly by sharing examples of how you successfully handled change in the past
- Emphasise your experience working in a team and how you contribute to a positive team dynamic
- Discuss your problem-solving abilities by sharing instances where you identified issues and implemented effective solutions
Get that new job – we've got your back
Follow our tips, and you could waltz into a great new job in 2024! And, if you need some extra cash to help you look your very best for an upcoming job interview, we can help with our cash loans up to $5,000. The application and approval process is quick and easy, and once a loan is approved, the cash is usually in your bank account within a few hours. So, why not invest in a new wardrobe and make a great impression on your future employer?