Ten genius storage ideas to keep your home looking neat and tidy
Spring has well and truly arrived so there’s no better time to clear up the clutter that’s been lurking around all winter. A clean and organised space has many benefits that your family can take advantage of, and by clearing out (or hiding away) all that clutter you’ll actually bring a sense of peace and calm to your home.
Imagine opening the door when you arrive home to a sense of tranquility, a place where you can escape the noise and chaos that’s loitering outside. What’s more, having a clean and tidy home actually makes you more productive, because you’ll tend to be more focused on the job at hand rather than stressing about the mess.
Ready to start getting organised? By increasing the amount of storage you have around the house, you’ll immediately be able to clear some of that clutter and keep it well and truly out of sight until you really do need it.
Here’s our top 10 genius storage solutions that will have your home looking ship shape in next to no time!
- Invest in a multifunctional coffee table that has extra drawers or shelves, or buy an ottoman with hidden storage. These are both great places to store your remotes, books, blankets and magazines.
- If you're a gamer and have a lot of video game equipment at home, put velcro straps onto the back of all your controllers and remotes so you can neatly attach them to the inside of a cabinet door – that’s instant decluttering right there!
- Hit up the dollar store and buy cheap containers to keep your dry goods like rice, cereal, flour and sugar, then add some labels so you know what's what. You’ll not only reduce your kitchen clutter, your pantry will get a whole new cohesive and organised look too.
- Create yourself more closet space by hanging multiple articles of clothing onto one hanger with this neat trick – just slip the metal tab from your next can of coke over the hook of your hanger and hey presto! – you can now hook two hangers together (and that means you'll be able to stuff double the amount of clothes into your closet).
- Create more space in your pantry by adding lazy susans into the corners. It might not seem like much space is added, but trust us, a little goes a long way and you’ll be able to reach all of those things that are normally stuffed at the back of the cupboard, never to see the light of day.
- All those hair brushes, straighteners, combs and dryers can be pretty overwhelming in your bathroom cupboards - but by hanging a wire basket to the far side of your vanity (the side that isn’t immediately visible when you walk in the door), you’ll be able to keep your hair paraphenalia all together and out of sight.
- And while we’re in the bathroom, who doesn't need more storage in there? Head down to your local hardware store (or second hand store) and grab a small shelving unit (even an old spice rack will do the trick) to install on your bathroom wall for extra space! Add a few containers and you’ve got a great storage system for your skin care and make up.
- Give yourself more space by hanging up all your big kitchen pots and pans. Use S-shaped hooks to hang them from your extractor hood, or install a hanging pot rack. This will add a little Hampton’s chic to your kitchen, and creates the impression that there’s a culinary master in the house!
- If you've got more mugs than you've got cupboard space, try installing tiny hooks underneath the shelves in the cupboard to hang up your mugs and any other cups you have.
- If you've got a tonne of shoes but no shoe storage system going on, try installing rods to create your very own shoe organizer. Stagger the rods for heels, and keep them level for everything else. This is a great option for a utility cupboard or the wardrobe in a spare room.
So there you have our top 10 storage ideas to help you de-clutter your home. There really is nothing better than coming home to a clean and organised house, and it’ll be much more comfortable to live in. If you don’t have a ‘home’ for all of your stuff, you’ll spend more time trying to put things away when you’re cleaning up, and waste time looking for items when you need them.
If de-cluttering your home sounds like it could be your next project but you want to go a bit more upmarket with the storage solutions, we can lend a hand. Just check out our flexible mini-loans from $1K - $5K to find out how quick and easy it is to get your hands on some extra funds. Once a loan is approved, the cash is usually deposited into your bank account within a few hours - so you can start shopping for new storage solutions today!