Ten reasons to adopt a pet right now
Every year in Australia hundreds of thousands of animals are lost, abandoned or surrendered and around 20,000 are euthanised by the RSPCA alone. Add to this the animals who end up at the pound or another animal shelter and the numbers are staggering.
If you’ve been thinking about bringing a new four-legged best friend into the family, here are our top 10 reasons why you should adopt a pet:
- You’ll save a life. When you buy a pet from a pet store, you’re denying an animal at a shelter the chance of getting out of a cage and into a loving home. Check out your local dog or cat adoption shelter first!
- You’ll be helping to shut down an industry that thrives on the appeal of cute baby animals. But puppy and kitten mills (who sell to pet stores) are only interested in churning out babies as quickly as possible so they can make a profit. The welfare of animals is rarely a priority and the mother animals are often kept in confined areas for all of their breeding lives, after which time they are no longer useful so are put to sleep.
- You get a whole lot more for your money. Dog adoption costs a lot less than buying from a pet store and there are loads of gorgeous animals to choose from. Because most of the animals in shelters tend to be mixed breeds, chances are that they’ll cost you a lot less in vet bills over time as well, since purebreds can often suffer from health issues such as hip dysplasia, breathing difficulties and heart problems.
- Adopting an animal companion is actually good for your health. Studies have shown that cuddling a pet releases the ‘cuddle chemical’ oxytocin in both the pet and the owner, producing a calming and soothing effect that leads to a strong bond between pet and owner. What’s more, if you live alone, a pet can help you fell less lonely and will keep you company without answering back (apart from the odd happy bark or occasional meow).
- You’ll get more exercise if you adopt a dog. There are great cardio benefits that will come from all that increased exercise you’ll get by taking you new best friend out for a walk. The reality is that when you need to take the dog for a walk, you usually don’t think about putting it off – whereas if it’s just you heading out for some exercise it’s easy to make excuses.
- You’ll meet new people. Yes, getting out of the house with a dog on a leash is guaranteed to deliver increased social interactions, which can improve your mood and reduce your stress levels.
- You’ll be helping more than just the animal you adopt. Australia’s animal shelters are often bursting at the seams, so when you adopt from a shelter you’re making room for another abandoned animal.
- Your kids will be healthier, and not just from the exercise they’ll get from walking the dog. Studies have shown that children growing up with a dog or cat during infancy have stronger immune systems and are less likely to catch respiratory infections or develop ear infections.
- Having a pet helps to develop emotional intelligence (EQ), a measure of empathy and the ability to understand and connect with others. More than just intelligence, emotional intelligence is the best indicator of a child’s likely success in school. Unlike your IQ, which is fixed at birth, EQ can grow and be nurtured – and having a pet in the house is the best way we know to grow and nurture!
- No one loves you more unconditionally that your pet. If you suffer from the black dog of depression, your pet may help you to deal with it. Fido or Puss will listen to you talk for as long as you want, and when you groom or play with your pet you’ll probably experience a feeling of happiness.
Want to really show the love to your new pet? According to ABC News, we Australians spent a whopping $12.2 billion on our furry family members in 2016. If you need some extra cash to pamper your pooch or mollycoddle your moggie, we can help! Just take a look at our mini-loans from $1K - $5K to find out how quick and easy it is to get your hands on some extra funds. Once a loan is approved, we can usually deposit the cash into your bank account within a few hours - so you can start dialling up the indulgence today!